This hearty BBQ Pulled Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Biscuit Topping is a comforting dish that the whole family will love!
In just over two weeks, (September 1st!) I’m going to be celebrating my 29th birthday! I’ve always been really into my birthday and this year is no different. I’m one year away from the big 3-0 after all! I feel like that’s a huge milestone birthday and I’m more than ready for it. I’ll probably make myself a cake, so be on the lookout for that!
Today’s recipe is inspired by my childhood birthdays because my mom would always make my favorite chicken pot pie for my birthday. How sweet, right?! There’s nothing more comforting than a bowl full of saucy chicken and crispy biscuits. It just so happens that my good friends at Curly’s are turning 30 this year, so this BBQ Pulled Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Biscuit Topping is my way of celebrating in my corner of the Internet. At least I can still say I’m younger than them, right? 😉 The good news is, it’s you that benefits from this simple 30–minute meal! It basically feeds an army and is pure coziness on a plate. I know you’ve heard me rave on and on about Curly’s in the past, but they’re truly the best store bought BBQ I have ever found, and they’re by FAR my favorite company to work with. If you don’t know where to get it, you can easily find Curly’s in the refrigerated meat case in your grocery store. Now, go make this recipe and then go over to their Facebook to wish them and happy birthday and congratulate them on a successful 30 years!
- 1 16-ounce container Curly's BBQ Pulled Chicken
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen roasted corn
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ cup cooked mashed sweet potato
- ⅓ - ½ cup whole milk, as needed
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a small bowl whisk together the sweet potato and milk (less up front, and more if needed). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter (or a fork if you don't have a pastry cutter) until the mixture is a crumbly texture or resemble coarse meal. Add the sweet potato mixture and gently fold to combine. Add the remaining milk a little at a time until all of the flour is moistened. The amount of milk you will need will depend on the moisture of the sweet potato.
- Sprinkle a small handful of flour on a work surface. Turn the dough out onto the surface and knead lightly 2-3 times with the palm of your hand until the dough comes together. Pat the dough out into a ½-in thick round. Using a 2½-in round biscuit cutter, cut the dough into biscuits, Gently roll the scraps out again and cut out more biscuits.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine Curly's BBQ Pulled Chicken, chicken broth, drained pinto beans, frozen corn, and diced bell pepper. Stir until well combined. Spoon mixture evenly into baking dish and top with the sweet potato biscuits. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown on top. You'll know the dish is ready when the mixture is bubbly and the biscuits are baked through.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle top with chopped fresh parsley to serve.