If you’re trying to go meat-free, these Beer Battered BBQ Cauliflower Bites are the perfect healthy appetizer to make on game day!
Happy Meatless Monday! These Beer Battered BBQ Cauliflower Bites are out to replace your usual chicken wing dinner. I’m certainly a meat-eater myself, but I definitely like to have a day or two a week that I go totally meatless. Since cauliflower is the food trend that just won’t go away, today we’re making these faux wings and I’m not mad about it one bit. The thing that you have to keep in mind when using cauliflower as a substitute for some of your favorite dishes, is that the end result won’t be exactly the same. Especially for something like this where you’re cooking whole cauliflower florets. Obviously, these won’t have the same texture and flavor as chicken, but you do get a kick of BBQ and beer while enjoying a flaky crust and tender inside. The same way that zucchini noodles don’t taste exactly like pasta, these bites are meant to be an homage to wings with their own tasty spin.
Do you have a favorite cauliflower recipe? I love combining it with mashed potatoes for a lighter version of the decidedly heavy classic. The only thing that I haven’t loved in the cauliflower world is pizza crust. Sometimes you just need the carbs, ya know!? I’ve always loved cauliflower and I’m glad that it’s finally having its time to shine outside of the crudité platter.
On a Cauliflower kick? Try my Creamy Cajun Cauliflower Alfredo!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 — ½ cups light beer
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Whisk flour, paprika, and garlic powder in a bowl. Starting with 1 cup, begin to whisk in beer. The batter should be the thin enough to run off the cauliflower florets so you may need to add more if necessary.
- Thoroughly coat each floret in the batter and place on a parchment-lined cooking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and brush with your favorite bbq sauce. Place back in the oven and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve with ranch, blue cheese sauce or additional bbq sauce.