This Low-Carb Instant Pot Taco Spaghetti Squash is a healthy weeknight meal that can get on the table fast, and the whole family will love!
Have you tried my Low-Carb Million Dollar Zoodle Spaghetti? If you love that recipe (lot’s of people do!) then you will also adore this Low-Carb Instant Pot Taco Spaghetti Squash!
Some people are funny about spaghetti squash, but I LOVE the stuff. I mean, it’s not spaghetti, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a delicious part of the squash family! I actually like it plain with just a little butter and salt and pepper. YUM! The worst part about spaghetti squash is getting it to the perfect consistency and it usually takes forever to cook. In my Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash I used my Crock Pot to cook it, but we don’t always think about it that far in advance. This is where the glorious Instant Pot comes into play. Seriously, if you haven’t jumped on this bandwagon yet, you’re missing out. I didn’t think I would love it as much as I do, but I would highly recommend it. It only takes 7 minutes (save for it coming to pressure) to cook the spaghetti squash all the way through. Yeah, that’s crazy. Whether you abide by a low-carb lifestyle or not, this recipe will be a winner no matter what. I’m already thinking about the next time I’m going to make it!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken, turkey or beef (I used turkey)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (10-ounce can) mild diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, crosswise. I like using a smaller paring knife to get through the thick skin. Scoop out the seeds in the center of the squash and discard everything, like a pumpkin.
- Place the steamer insert/trivet into your pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water to the pot.
- Place the squash halves on the steamer insert. I had one sitting up and one on its side because it wouldn't fit otherwise. No biggie.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook under high pressure for 7 minutes. Press the “Manual” button and adjust the time to 7.
- When the squash is finished cooking, carefully release the valve at the top of the pressure cooker to rapidly lower the pressure.
- Remove the lid and carefully remove the squash (there may be hot liquid collected in the hollows. Shred the squash with a fork and set aside.
- Remove the trivet from the Instant Pot and dispose of any residual cooking liquid. Add olive oil to the pot, and using the "Saute" function, allow the Instant Pot to come back up to temperature with the lid off.
- When the Instant Pot is ready, add ground meat and saute until browned all over and poultry is no longer pink. Add diced onion and taco seasoning, and continue to saute until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes and chiles and tomato paste. Stir until well combined, add spaghetti squash back into the pot, and simmer everything for 10 more minutes.
- Top with cheese and allow it to melt before serving.
- Serving with a sprinkle of fresh Roma tomatoes and cilantro.