Here at My Modern Cookery, I strive to create new and exciting recipes, based off of the classic ones that we already know and love. Chicken and waffles is a southern favorite, and for good reason. If I am dining out and chicken and waffles is on the menu, consider it ordered. I feel like it’s all in the name of research, ya know? We recently got back from Mexico and I found some major recipe inspiration while we were there. It’s really eye opening to visit other countries and see what exactly they eat at different meals, the various fruits the eat on the regular, and how fresh their diet is. I was amazed every morning that our breakfast buffet had dragonfruit and starfruit a plenty! Todays recipe is a Mexican take on chicken and waffles, with a cornmeal waffle, citrusy pollo asado, and a tequila lime maple syrup. I absolutely cannot wait to have this again! Topped with queso fresco and pickled onions, the mix of acidity, sweetness, and spice are a flavor combo that I just can’t quit.
- 1¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter. In a separate bowl, blend together the dry ingredients, then quickly and gently combine the wet and dry ingredients. Drop the batter by ½ cup fulls onto a hot waffle iron, and bake until the waffle iron stops steaming
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 whole boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tequila
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Queso freso, pickled red onions, and cilantro to garnish
- Whisk together first 9 ingredients in a large glass bowl.
- Pour marinade into a large ziploc bag, add chicken breast halves. Shake or knead to spread marinade throughout chicken.
- Refrigerate at least four hours to overnight.
- When ready to prepare, remove chicken from refrigerator and let rest on the counter for 10 minutes. Preheat chicken to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Broil chicken for 15-20 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit.
- Whisk tequila, lime, and maple syrup together.
- Top your prepared cornmeal waffle with a chicken breast, pickled onions, queso fresco, and cilantro, if desired. Drizzle on your tequila lime maple syrup and enjoy!
Subscribe to get recipes
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get new and exciting recipes sent to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.