This isn’t your typical party dip! This Southern-Style Pimento Cheese Dip has a layer of homemade pimento cheese and all the fixings!
When pimento cheese and 7-Layer Dip collide, you get this incredible Southern-Style Pimento Cheese Dip!
Truth be told, the whole time I was making/writing this recipe, I was aiming for it to be a take on a 7-layer dip. So, how did I get it all the way to this point without realizing that there are only 6 “layers”? Don’t ask me. I have no excuses. Now it gets to be Southern-Style Pimento Cheese Dip instead of Southern-Style 7-Layer Dip. Whatever, it’s still amazing.
I’m someone that likes to think outside of the box and use really unique ingredients and techniques that make you work a little. However, I’m finding in my real Kentucky life (not the imaginary New York, Food52, foodie life I live in my head) that most people like easy recipes with easy ingredients that aren’t intimidating. Thankfully, this dip is both equally delicious and easy.
It starts out with a layer of homemade pimento cheese. In theory, you could use store-bought, but I’m not letting you off that easy. This recipe is simple enough, you can shred some cheese and stir a few ingredients. Speaking of the cheese, for a perfectly creamy and flavorful pimento cheese, you need to know two things. First, the sharper your cheddars the better. Look for an extra-sharp if you can find it. Secondly, you need to shred it yourself. You can use a hand cheese grater or the grating blade on your food processor, however you choose, it’s a necessity. If you use the pre-shredded stuff, it has a coating on the outside that will keep the pimento cheese from being it’s best creamy self, and you don’t want that, do you? The rest is easy peasy! Layer it all in a dish, and voila! You have a simple dip that literally everyone will love.
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups freshly grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped drained pimentos
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 16-oz container sour cream
- ½ lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, de-seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cheeses, drained pimentos, mayo, celery salt, cayenne, and kosher salt until well combined to make the pimento cheese.
- Spread the pimento cheese into the bottom of a 9x13 dish. Top with sour cream and follow with crumbled bacon, green onions, tomatoes, and parsley.
- Serve cold with crackers or toast.
Subscribe to get recipes
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get new and exciting recipes sent to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.