Salad-lovers, rejoice! This Wedge Salad with Candied Bacon, Walnuts, Blackberries & Basil Ranch is the perfect fresh summer lunch!
My name is Paige and I have a pretty solid salad addiction. Wow, it feels good to get that off my chest. This Wedge Salad with Candied Bacon, Walnuts, Blackberries & Basil Ranch is my latest lunch creation and dare I say… It’s my favorite*.
I’m going to start a campaign to get people to appreciate iceberg again. Sure, we have kale, spinach, little gem, and arugula — all of which are way more nutritious than iceberg. But, I believe there’s still place for it in our salad repertoire. I love how crunchy it is and how high the water content is. I find that you don’t need quite as much dressing because it’s not as dry as other greens. You could also make this salad with a wedge of bibb or butter lettuce and it would be delicious! The symphony of flavors in this salad is a real treat for the taste buds. Plump and juicy blackberries that have a bit of tartness, sweet and smoky candied bacon, buttery walnuts, and a creamy herbaceous ranch that I would happily eat off of a rusty brick. If you need a break from your sad desk lunch of baby spinach with a drizzle of lemon and olive oil… this salad is your girl!
*(Until the next salad comes along)
Check out my Melon Prosciutto Salad with Mint Vinaigrette!
- 4 slices of cooked, thick cut bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, quartered
- 1 cup blackberries
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons basil, for garnish
- Combine cooked crumbled bacon, sugar, and salt in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Toss until sugar has dissolved and evenly coated the bacon, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the sugar. Set aside to harden a bit while you make the dressing.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy, scraping down the sides occasionally when needed. Taste and season additionally, if desired. Store in an air-tight container for 1 to 2 days.
- To assemble the salads, place a quarter of the iceberg on each plate and liberally with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the basil ranch. Sprinkle on candied bacon, blackberries, and chopped basil. Serve immediately.