Thanksgiving is right around the corner! This Acorn Squash Stuffed with Chicken Apple Stuffing is an impressive side dish that everyone will talk about!
The holiday we foodies wait for all year is finally upon us! This Thanksgiving, I’m planning on taking traditional favorites and turning them into impressive dishes that will wow at your family’s feast. These Acorn Squash Stuffed with Chicken Apple Stuffing might actually outshine the turkey this year.
When it comes to preparing a Thanksgiving feast, the most important thing is taking help where you can get it. It may be tempting to try and do everything yourself from scratch, but more often than not, that’s totally unnecessary.
For this recipe, I used a stuffing mix, homestyle gravy, and bacon.
For starters, you get that classic Thanksgiving stuffing flavor from a great stuffing mix that pairs so well with the chicken sausage, fresh apple, and acorn squash.
Bacon adds a nice richness to the dish, and you HAVE to top it all off with yummy gravy! Make sure to buy extra because you know you’ll want it for your turkey and mashed potatoes as well.
You won’t believe how incredibly easy this recipe is to prepare. The acorn squash roasts while you make the stuffing, which couldn’t be more simple. All you have to do is prepare the stuffing mix according to the package directions.
Then, mix with the browned chicken sausage mixture and apples, and top with the bacon and gravy after stuffing into the squash. Easy peasy!
Acorn Squash Stuffed with Chicken Apple Stuffing
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pkg. (6 oz.) Kraft STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 lb ground chicken sausage
- 1 apple, cored and diced into small chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 lb Oscar Mayer Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Heinz Homestyle Gravy, to serve
- Cut acorn squash in half, scooping out the seeds
- Add a little olive oil in the middle and use a pastry brush to coat the edges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash halves cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake in an oven at 350˚F for 15-20 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the Kraft STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken in a large saucepan as directed on package. Set aside.
In a large skillet, add olive oil to the bottom of the pan and add the onions, celery, and chicken sausage. Continue breaking up the sausage into little crumbles. Cook until the sausage is cooked through
- Add the apple, cranberries, Oscar Mayer Bacon, prepared stuffing, and butter to the chicken sausage; Stir to combine.
- Flip the squash over after 20 minutes and top with a mound of the stuffing mixture.
- Bake for another 20-30 minutes or until the squash is tender and the stuffing is golden brown.
- Serve hot with warmed Heinz Homestyle Gravy over the top
2020 Thanksgiving Menu - My Modern Cookery
Sunday 7th of November 2021
[…] Acorn Squash Stuffed with Chicken Apple Stuffing […]