If there were an award for trendiest dish of 2015, it would most definitely go to Avocado Toast. Topped with everything from radish slices and sprouts, tahini and tuna, or hot sauce and chicken, this highly instagrammable dish is everywhere these days. I, myself, am a HUGE fan. Whether it be for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, I have been known to eat avo-toast at any time of day. I decided to try and offer a slightly different take on avocado toast, by turning it into Avocado Stuffed French Toast.
I’ll give you a second to let that one sink in.
I hope your mind isn’t too blown.
Have a favorite way to make your avocado toast? Add it with the avocado thats stuffed inside! I love that this is a base idea that is easily customizable to your favorite blend of avo-toppings.
Avocado Stuffed French Toast
My Modern Cookery
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 8 slices challah bread or Hawaiian bread, sliced about 1½ inch thick
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, poached or fried
- In a small bowl, mash avocado with salt and pepper.
- Slice a horizontal slit in the bread along the longest side, all the way through to the back. Trying not to cut through around the bread. Stuff with ¼th of the mashed avocado per toast.
- In a shallow, rectangular container, whisk together the eggs, milk, and hot sauce.
- Melt butter on a griddle over medium-low heat. Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side. Cook the toast until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Top with a poached or fried egg, or other avo-toast topping you wish!