Don’t panic, but the holidays are FAST approaching. I don’t know about you, but I couldn’t be more excited. So much of family gatherings and holidays revolve around food and I love being at the center of that. I get to carve the Thanksgiving turkey now and that makes me very happy. Beyond the stuffing, Brussels sprouts and pumpkin pie lies a whole other world consisting of holiday appetizers. It’s AKA my favorite world and The Baked Brie With Red Wine Cherries, Candied Bacon and Pistachios I am sharing with you today is one of the reasons I love it so much.
First off… cheese. The creamier and stinkier the better I say, and brie definitely fits in that category. I like to go for a triple crème brie, but anything will work just fine. That, combined with the sweet red wine cherries and crunchy bacon pistachio brittle = heaven. Honestly, I could probably eat the whole thing by myself so it’s probably best that you make it in the company of others. Make it now, make it for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Eve — Just make it!
- 1-8 ounce wheel or wedge of brie
- ¾ cup pitted fresh or frozen cherries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 3 slices of bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place brie on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until inside is just melted, about 10-15 minutes depending on the brie.
- While the brie is in the oven, cook bacon in a medium-sized non-stick pan until crisp and all fat is rendered. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Clean pan out. Place bacon and pistachios back in the pan and turn onto a medium heat. Add brown sugar and water. Cook until brown sugar is melted and it has coated all of the bacon and nuts. Add salt. Stir to combine and turn off heat.
- Place cherries, sugar and wine in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When brie is ready, transfer to a platter. Evenly top brie with cherry and wine sauce and then with candied pistachios and bacon. Serve immediately with apples, pears and fruit and nut crackers.