If you love Choco Tacos, then you will adore these Banana Split Crepe Burritos! They’re an easy, fun, and delicious way to spend a summer afternoon!
They say some of the best ideas come to you while lying in bed. The other night I was trying to go to sleep, but all I could think about was whether or not they still made Choco Tacos.
Of course, that morphed into a recipe idea, and as soon as I thought of these Banana Split Crepe Burritos I had to open my notes app and write down the details immediately.
I LOVED Choco Tacos when I was younger. We occasionally had them at school, and when we did… well it was a good day. As most fun things from your childhood, I grew out of the Choco Taco (or so I thought) after high school.
Turns out, there’s no need to grow out of anything, and maybe we would all be a little better off if we acted a little more like our childhood selves. So, these dessert burritos are dedicated to all of those grown-ups who are young at heart!
The journey to this brain child of mine started with the perfect base. A tortilla would be too savory, but a crepe would be the perfect vehicle to safely carry ice cream and banana. Much to my excitement, it totally worked and the result was so so so so good.
Better than it’s inspiration if ya know what I mean. I topped them with homemade magic shell, which I’ve basically put on everything since I used it in THIS recipe. Good ole’ canned whipped cream, chopped peanuts, and maraschino cherries also grace the top.
The magic of this fun idea is that you can customize it however you like! Next time I think I’ll go full on with chocolate ice cream and spoonful of Nutella. Now, tell me that doesn’t make you feel like a kid!
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Additional butter, for coating the pan
- 1-pint vanilla ice cream
- 1-pint strawberry ice cream
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced into disks
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- Maraschino cherries
- Canned whipped cream
- ½ cup good-quality semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse them for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a thin coating of butter to the pan. Pour a scant ½ cup of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove from the pan. Continue until all batter is gone. Allow them to cool before filling.
- To make the burritos, lay out a crepe on a flat surface and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a scoop of strawberry ice cream to the center. Place 5-6 banana slices on top of the ice cream and roll up the crepe, like you would a burrito. Continue until all of the crepes are filled. Set aside while you make the magic shell.
- Prepare the magic shell by placing the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on HIGH in 20-second increments, stirring thoroughly after each, until completely smooth. Allow them to cool before drizzling over rolled burritos. Top with chopped peanuts, whipped cream, and maraschino cherries. Serve immediately or transfer to the freezer to solidify for 30 minutes.