Why choose just one delicious cheese dip when you could combine two and get this epic Beer Cheese Queso that’s perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
I don’t know about you but I’ve been ready to celebrate Cinco de Mayo since around March. I’m starting the celebration off today with this super easy and amazingly delicious Beer Cheese Queso that’s stuffed with poblanos, spiced with chipotle chili powder, and brought together with Corona Extra!
Whether you’re hosting a Cinco de Mayo party or you’re just having a few friends over to pre-game and snack before (safely) taking on the town, Corona HAS to be at the top of your grocery list—along with a ton of limes, of course. I always grab a 12 pack at the same time that I pick up everything I need for all the tacos, guacamole, and salsa.
Believe it or not, Cinco de Mayo is actually a huge deal here in Kentucky. You see, it usually falls on the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby—which gives everyone even MORE reason to celebrate!
When you think of Cinco de Mayo, a few things probably come to mind—and Corona is most likely one of the first. It’s pretty much guaranteed that if you have a Cinco party without Corona, someone will show up asking for it and you don’t want to let your guests down.
You want to be the best host you can be, right? Then you better stock the one beer that’s the epitome of the fun-loving holiday. No Cinco celebration is complete without an ice-cold Corona, limes, and a ton of sea salt (in my opinion.)
What’s your go-to dish to bring to a Cinco de Mayo party? I love a good taco bar, but this Beer Cheese Queso is sure to be the gathering point at the party. Seriously, if you see a hoard of people all circled around one thing, it’s either going to be this insane cheese dip or the Corona. Guaranteed.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup Corona Extra®
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- salsa, avocado, and tortilla chips for serving
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, poblano, garlic, cumin, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onion is fragrant, about 5-10 minutes. Add the cream cheese and milk. Cook over medium heat until the sauce is smooth and the cream cheese has melted.
- Then, stir in the Corona Extra.
- In a bowl, toss together the shredded cheese with the flour. Little by little, add the cheese to the warm milk, whisking until the sauce is smooth. Stir in the chipotle chili powder.
- Serve the queso warm topped with salsa and avocado and alongside tortilla chips.