Don’t get me wrong… Obviously, I love cooking. But making breakfast is kind of a pain. Maybe it’s because I’m NOT a morning person, but I need like a solid hour + coffee before I can think about turning the stove on. Cue: Blueberry Pecan Baked Oatmeal.
I love to make baked oatmeal on Sunday so that I can have a super quick and easy homemade breakfast all week long. All you have to do is scoop some out, pop it in the microwave and top with milk or additional fruit. It’s warm, comforting and goes mighty well with a latte or two if I do say so. You can throw in whatever fruit and nuts you like as well. I like adding old mashed bananas because it then it tastes like banana bread (yum), and whatever dried fruits I happen to have on-hand. I’m currently making my way through a giant bag of Costco dried blueberries, so this is what you get. But, cherries, apricots and dates are equally as delicious. Obviously, you can omit or sub the pecans as well, but I just love a bit of crunch.
Try this healthy make-ahead breakfast out this week and let me know what you think! I reckon you’ll have a killer day after your hearty meal.
- 2 1/2 cups rolled old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups mashed well-ripened bananas
- 1 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together oats, pecans, dried blueberries, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate mixing bowl stir together mashed bananas with almond milk, honey, eggs, and vanilla extract and whisk until very well blended. Stir in coconut oil. Pour milk mixture into oat mixture and stir to combined. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.