The holiday season may be over, but this creamy and boozy Bourbon Ball Hot Chocolate still has a place in your weekly routine!
I know what you’re thinking. “New year, new me!” “Gimme Whole30 recipes!” “But, it’s Dry January!” “Sugar, who?” First of all, stop yelling at me. Second of all, even if you’re embarking on a new lifestyle, you deserve a treat again someday, right? I’m a big believer of all things in moderation and if you fully restrict yourself then that leads to feeling deprived and ultimately bingeing. But hey, you do you and I’ll even be serving up some super healthy recipes here in the very near future.
If there’s anything that my family hates leaving behind at the holidays, it’s bourbon balls. My mom has made them every year since I can remember. I’ve been eating them so long in fact, that when I actually started drinking bourbon the taste actually reminded me of my childhood. Hahaha. I remember thinking that I was so cool eating bourbon balls when I was like, ten. This hot chocolate is my way of taking that flavor into the new year, but with a little more kick!
Any requests for upcoming content? I’d love to know what kind of recipes you’re looking for, so feel free to leave a comment letting me know!
Fancy a cold version instead? Try my Chocolate Bourbon Butter Pecan Milkshakes!
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 ounces bourbon
- mini marshmallows or whipped cream, for serving
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- Bring milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally and making sure milk doesn’t boil. Whisk in chocolate, sugar, and salt and cook, whisking frequently, until mixture is smooth and creamy and chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add bourbon and vanilla to hot chocolate mixture and stir to combine. I would recommend starting with 2 ounces of bourbon and working your way up.
- Pour cornstarch and pecans in two separate shallow bowls or plates. Dip the rim of your glasses into the cornstarch, then into the pecans.
- Divide hot chocolate among prepared mugs, then top with marshmallows or a dollop of whipped cream.