These totally tubular hot dogs deserve a standing ovation. Try setting up the toppings on a bar to let everyone make their own!
I know what you’re thinking. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” Hear me out. Just because hot dogs are perfectly delicious on their own doesn’t mean that we can’t have a little fun with them.
You can’t tell me that you don’t get a bit tired of your typical hot dog at right about this point of the summer. I think I’ve convinced you by now.
For these hot dogs, I decided to take my FAVORITE salad and fuse it with hot dogs to make these EPIC California Cobb Dogs.
Seriously, what’s not to love? You have avocado, hard-boiled egg, and blue cheese, all of which are in my top 10 favorite foods.
They’re served with a quick lemon aioli, which is the most difficult part of this “recipe”. If you consider difficult stirring a few things in a bowl, that is.
Pin this recipe right now and then next time you have a craving for a hot dog AND a salad, break it out.
- 8 bun-length hot dogs
- 8 buns
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 sliced of bacon, crumbled
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- Prepare your hot dogs however you like. Grilled, boiled, pan fried or even microwaved. I like to grill mine and throw the buns on the grill for a minute or two as well.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayo, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Spread on the inside of each bun.
- Cover the inside of each bun with shredded romaine and place the hot dog on top.
- Top each hot dog with equal parts hard boiled egg, red onion, tomato, blue cheese, bacon and avocado.
- Serve immediately.