Who says you can’t have soup in the warmer months? This Chilled Asparagus Avocado Soup is a refreshing healthy lunch that you’ll want to make all the time!
If you’ve never had chilled soup before, your life is going to change with this Chilled Asparagus Avocado Soup.
The most famous of chilled soups is gazpacho. It’s a Spanish tomato-based soup and it’s so so delicious. If you’re a fan of cold salsa, then you would love gazpacho. But, my favorite kind of chilled soup falls in the ‘creamy’ category and that usually means that avocado is involved.
The great thing about this soup is that you can basically use up whatever you have in your fridge for a nice lunch for two. You could throw in bell peppers, cucumber, zucchini and any herbs that look like they need to be used. It’s perfect! AND it tastes like a dish from a fancy restaurant so you’re winning even more. You could even pack it to the park with some crusty bread and Chardonnay for a romantic outdoor date since you don’t have to heat it up. If you miss soup during the spring and summer, then this one might just hold you over until chili season starts back up.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 7 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed of ends and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 ripe avocado
- the juice of half lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp each, chives, basil, and rosemary
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the asparagus, and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for another 10 minutes and then remove the pot from heat.
- Allow the soup to come to room temperature.
- Add the soup, avocado, lemon juice, and herbs to a blender and blend until creamy.
- Add more stock if it's too thick. Taste and season with salt and pepper as you see fit.
- Chill the asparagus avocado soup in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
- Garnish with sour cream and additional herbs, if desired.