Looking for a protein-packed snack for the day? This bowl will most definitely do the trick!
Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet is something that I am very passionate about. I try my best to live by an 80/20 rule…80% completely clean and fully nutritious eating, and 20% cheating indulgences like pizza and burgers.
It’s so satisfying knowing that what you are eating is doing everything it can to fuel your body and keep it running at full capacity. I am always on the search for protein-packed meals that are both filling and flavorful. This Flavor Packed Protein Bowl is a fuss-free, pile it all in a bowl, and dig in meal, that you can have for lunch or dinner.
Lentils and quinoa are full of plant-based protein that is a very important component of your diet, especially if you’re vegetarian. You can easily substitute the chicken in the dish for tofu or another meat substitute and it will become a great vegetarian dish!
There are so many quality meat alternative products on the market today, which makes being a vegetarian is easier than ever. I personally only eat meat a few times a week and the other days I try to be meat-free with the exception of eggs…because they’re my fave.
I think a meal similar to this is a perfect example that the simple flavors of your ingredients can be the thing that really makes your dish shine without unnecessary fillers. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into medium dice
- 3/4 lb chicken breast, diced in small chunks
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 hard boiled egg, sliced in half
- 1 tbsp toasted nuts ( I used sliced almonds)
- 5 oz plain greet yogurt
- 1-2 tsp your favorite hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Add both the quinoa and lentils and turn heat to medium-low, simmer for 20 mins until all of the liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender. If all of the water has absorbed and the lentils are still a bit hard, add a bit more water and simmer a few more minutes. While the lentils and quinoa are simmering, toss the sweet potatoes and chicken with 1 tbsp of olive oil each, and season with salt and pepper. Roast the sweet potatoes and chicken on separate baking sheets for 15 mins, until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through. Mix the greek yogurt with salt, pepper, and as much hot sauce as you like to make a spicy topping for your bowl. In each bowl, top the lentil quinoa mixture with half of the chicken and sweet potatoes, half of the black beans, hard boiled egg, and toasted nuts. Drizzle the top with greek yogurt and enjoy!