The next time you want a light salad to go with your meal, this Cucumber, Radish and Fennel Salad with Mandarin Vinaigrette is the one!
I should invest stock in my local farmers because I’m going to be living off of this Cucumber, Radish and Fennel Salad with Mandarin Vinaigrette all summer long.
I’m not sure if it’s a southern thing or not, but I grew up eating cucumbers soaked in white vinegar, sugar, and water every single summer. We always had a garden filled with baskets of giant zucchini, corn, blackberries, and always cucumber. I’ve attempted to recreate these gardens at my own home, but to no avail.
This salad is an homage to those sticky days that were filled with opening deceptive Cool Whip containers that were packed with sour soaked cucumbers. Like those, this salad is better on day two in my opinion.
The vinaigrette has had time to soak into the veggies but they still retain their crunch. I’m obsessed. If you want the dressing to be a little creamier, you could add a dollop of Greek yogurt to the vinaigrette, but I wanted it to have that same vinegary bite that the marinated cucumbers had.
Let me know what your favorite summer salad is, you can never have too many. Especially like this Simple Zucchini Salad!
- 1 fennel bulb, reserve the fronds (top greenery)
- 8 oz radishes, trimmed
- 1/2 an English Cucumber
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh mandarin juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice the white part of the fennel, the radishes, and cucumber. Add the vegetables to a large bowl and make the vinaigrette.
- In a small bowl, combine mandarin juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Slowly stream in olive oil while whisking. Whisk vinaigrette until thoroughly combined. Drizzle the desired amount of dressing over the veggies. Chop the fronds of the fennel and use it to garnish your salad.
- Serve immediately or let it chill for a while to let the flavors meld.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g