Looking for a spooky Halloween cupcake recipe? These easy and fun Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream are great desserts for the kids!
Boo! It’s almost Halloween! I LOVE Halloween so so much and that’s why I’m sharing these cute little Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream with you today.
There is something so fun about being whoever you want to be for a night. Matt and I almost always do a couple’s costume and this year is no different. Let’s just say our costume this year is very….timeless. Muah haahaa.
If you’re going to a party, you don’t want to be the goblin showing up empty-handed. But…if you bring these ghoulish cupcakes…you will bewitch everyone in attendance! The great thing about cupcakes is that they are equally loved by children and adults.
I mean, If you’re going to an adult-only party, you know everyone is going to be hanging out by the food, so you might as well make something show-stoppingly cute and delicious!
Stay tuned to My Modern Cookery, because there are some exciting things in the works! AND make sure you sign up for my mailing list so you can be notified when any exciting holiday recipes go up!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 12-cup cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each time. You may also melt the butter and chocolate over low heat on the stovetop. Stir until smooth and set aside to slightly cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the cooled butter/chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk. Repeat until everything is added. Stir until *just* combined; do not overmix. The batter will be very thick like pudding.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling completely before frosting.
For Halloween, decorate with crushed graham cracker crumbs before piping the frosting, and make ghost eyes with mini chocolate chips!
Cupcakes adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the marshmallow creme.
Whip for 2 minutes.
- Add the confectioner's sugar and continue to beat for 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract
Frosting adapted from Baked Bree