If your weekends consist of more takeout Chinese than you care to admit, these Kung Pao Shrimp Lettuce Wraps are too easy and delicious to pass up!
I remember the very first time I had lettuce wraps. They were at PF Changs (obviously) and my mind was so blown away that something wrapped in lettuce could be so good. I was in high school, mind you.
I remember thinking it was the coolest restaurant there was and I felt so fancy eating there. Lolz. The two things I always ordered were the kung pao scallops and lettuce wraps for an appetizer. Since I don’t see myself going to a PF any time soon, I figured that these Kung Pao Shrimp Lettuce Wraps were necessary to ease the craving.
There’s something so satisfying to me about using lettuce as a wrap. Butter lettuce is the perfect option because it’s light enough to not take away from the filling, but the leaves are big and substantial enough to ensure that sauce isn’t dripping down your arm.
I’m so mad because I actually bought crispy rice noodles to add to these wraps and I forgot to add them :(. If you think about it, definitely grab them and pile your filling on top of them. They’re like, my favorite part of the PF Changs lettuce wraps and I was devastated when I realized I left them out.
I didn’t add them to the recipe because I didn’t want it to be confusing with the photos and you actually don’t need them, but they’re like fun little styrofoam surprises…do it.
Obviously, you could totally forego the lettuce and serve this over rice or even soba noodles, but I love a good hand-held meal!
Prefer a south-of-the-border take on shrimp? Try my Southwest Fiesta Shrimp Salad. Or maybe you’re looking for an Easy Spicy Chicken Pad Thai? Either way, your taste buds will thank you for the flavor!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced largely
- 1 green bell pepper, diced largely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha*
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 8 large butter lettuce leaves
- In a medium-sized skillet add the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté until almost tender. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes until pink.
- In a small bowl whisk soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and sriracha. Mix together the cornstarch and water and whisk into the sauce. Pour sauce over the shrimp mixture and add peanuts. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Sauté until it starts to thicken and coat the shrimp.
- Spoon equal amounts of filling into lettuce leaves and serve immediately!
*Add more or less Sriracha to your taste! You could also add in a pinch of red pepper flakes.