Sometimes, you have an insatiable craving for a burger. Sometimes, you have a craving for Italian food that just won’t quit. And sometimes, you just want both and you don’t know what do! I know, make this Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Burgers. It’s times like these that you need to feed your confusion with some fusion. See what I did there? This burger is a perfect solution to your dinner conundrum. It’s like, am I a meatball sandwich? Am I Hamburger? Am I pizza? I just don’t know! I feel sad that this burger is going through an identity crisis, but food genre confusion is some of the tastiest out there. I am a firm believer that the quality of meat you use is vital to your recipes success, so I love using Laura’s Lean Beef for all of my burgers!
Go ahead and enjoy this bad boy every night of the week.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ¼ of an onion, small diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup chopped flatleaf parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 thick slices mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- 1 cup prepared marinara
- Crispy proscuttio, arugula, and pesto to garnish
- In a medium sized bowl, combine first seven ingredients. Using your hands, mix ingredients together until combined, but being careful not to over-mix.
- Form into 4 equal sized patties.
- Place a thick slice of mozzarella in the middle of one patty, covering with another. Tightly squeeze edges around cheese to seal. Repeat with other two patties and cheese.
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat and add a couple turns of olive oil. Add patties and brown on each side, turning once after about 4 minutes.
- When both sides are browned, add marinara sauce to pan and cover, simmering for another 5-7 minutes, basting the burgers with the sauce.
- I recommend serving the burgers on a ciabatta bun, with pesto, arugula, and crispy procuitto!