Pickles are one of those love it or hate it things. I personally LOVE them and that’s why I made this No-Knead Artisan Pickle Bread, but if you’re a hate ’em kinda person, you may want to move along, because this bread has ALL the pickle and then some.
This recipe is a variation on a staple bread that I make ALL the time. For every holiday, random Tuesdays… March 31st. I make it with olives, loads of fresh herbs, or plain jane. The plan for this particular bread was to hang out on a cheese platter for party time noshing and noshed it was.
I replaced most of the water in the recipe with pickle juice, added chopped pickles, and dried dill and the result was starchy pickle goodness. This bread is SUPER easy to make, although it does take a bit of planning ahead since it needs to rise for at least 8 hours. But, even if you’re a novice, as long as you allow yourself plenty of time, you can absolutely make this bread with ease. If you’re in the mood to bake, have you tried my No-Knead Artisan Rolls yet?
MMMMM….. Yeast. Am I the only one who LOVES the smell of yeasty rising bread?
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (or highly active dry yeast)
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1 cup lukewarm pickle juice
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 large dill pickle, chopped
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, kosher salt, yeast and dill weed. Incorporate the water and pickle juice using a wooden spoon, making a shaggy dough. Fold in a chopped pickle. Be careful not to over mix the dough. You want the flour to be incorporated, but it's not going to look perfect.
- Tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise at room temperature for 8-24 hours (the longer the better, but at LEAST 8).
When it’s done rising, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your empty Dutch oven in the oven for 30 minutes.
While the Dutch oven is heating, turn the dough out on a floured surface. Use your hands to quickly form a ball. Cover the dough loosely until the Dutch oven is warm.
- When the Dutch oven is ready, put the dough inside and sprinkle the top with sea salt. Cover the bread and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for another 10-15 minutes uncovered until the crust is nice and brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1594Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12357mgCarbohydrates: 339gFiber: 13gSugar: 48gProtein: 41g