I love eggs! I could literally eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This is where the always yummy, Shrimp, Asparagus, and Gruyere Quiche comes into play!
It is a great way to use up random bits of vegetables, herbs, and meats that you have lying around. This dish is so delicious and is perfect for a brunch or an easy dinner accompanied with a salad.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup chopped shallots
- 12 asparagus tips, trimmed to 4 inches
- 1 1/2 cups small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gruyere
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake crust until light golden brown, about 17 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add shrimp; sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until shrimp is tender and just pink about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate; spread out to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, half and half, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg in a large bowl to blend. Stir in 1 cup gruyere cheese and shrimp/shallot mixture. Pour filling into crust.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over quiche and arrange asparagus tips around the top.
- Bake quiche until puffed, golden brown, and just set in center, about 50 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Cut into wedges.
I used a frozen pre-made crust already in a pan, but you can make your own or use a store-bought and roll in out and put it in your own dish.