Some culinary combinations were just meant to be together, just like these Soft Baked Lemon Cookies With Lavender Glaze. Along with peanut butter and jelly, caramel and sea salt, eggs and avocado and lemon and lavender great combos last forever. There’s something about the mellow floral notes of lavender that totally balances out the tartness of the lemon and it’s divine. My absolute most popular recipe here on My Modern Cookery is my Lavender and Honey Soaked Lemon Cake, and for good reason. That sucker is delicious. I wanted to make something that had the same flavors, but was a little easier to make/eat.
Cue: These cookies.
They’re soft, chewy, sweet, tangy, and elegant AF.
Seriously, I could eat them all — all by myself. Make them for a shower, Mother’s Day, summer BBQ or a random Tuesday… just make them.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender
- 1 cup powdered sugar.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugars, egg and lemon extract. Beat on medium-high speed until the color turns pale and everything is well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the lemon zest, lemon juice and honey. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the flour, cornstarch and baking soda. Beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, give the dough a couple extra stirs to make sure everything is combined. Using a large cookie scoop, form approximately 12 equal-sized cookies. Flatten slightly.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet, spaced 2 inches apart and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven. The cookies will firm as they cool, so they may look slightly underdone when you take them out of the oven. That is perfectly fine, be careful not to over bake. Allow cookies to cool for about 10 minutes before topping with the glaze.
- Bring lemon juice and lavender just to a simmer, then turn off the heat. Let steep for 5 minutes and allow to cool. Strain lavender out with a mesh sieve. Whisk in powdered sugar to the lavender-lemon juice until smooth. (you may need to add a drop or two of additional liquid to achieve the right consistency, depending on how much your lemon juice reduced.)
- Pour a tsp full of glaze on top of cooled cookies, spreading to the edge.
- Garnish with additional lemon zest if desired.
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.