Get your daily greens and a crowd-pleasing appetizer all in one little crispy package with these Southern-Style Spanakopita Cups!
This time of year is always full of potlucks and holiday parties galore, which means an arsenal of appetizer recipes are a must. Today, I’m sharing these Southern-Style Spanakopita Cups that may just disappear in front of your eyes!
With all of the cookies and cakes of the season, we have to make sure we’re getting enough greens in our diet, right? And what better way to do that than with crispy phyllo cups filled with delicious and healthy mixed greens and feta cheese? Appetizers for the holidays are HUGE! They set the stage for how the night will progress. A tasty treat at the beginning of the night will ensure your guest have a small bite to hold them off until the main course. Hangry guests are the worst guests, so keep them satisfied with simple appetizers that will please anyone.
What is your favorite Christmas appetizer? These crunchy cups will be perfect for all of your holiday gatherings!
- 30 frozen phyllo cups (2 15-count packages)
- 1 14.5-ounce Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Mixed Greens, drained and patted of excess moisture
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped shallot or onion
- 4 oz chopped fresh mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the phyllo cups on a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Saute until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add the drained mixed greens, feta, parsley, egg, nutmeg, and lemon zest, stirring to combine. Spoon the mixture into the phyllo cups and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.