Crank up the grill, and make this lean and hearty Southwest Steak Salad with Chipotle Ranch. No heating up of your kitchen required!
Hello hello! I hope you all have had a fabulous week. Are you ready for the weekend? I know I am! If you’re planning on getting into some grilling I would highly recommend whipping up this zesty Southwest Steak Salad with Chipotle Ranch. Margarita not included.
Speaking of looking forward to the weekend, have you guys ever Heard of Gary Vaynerchuk? He’s a very inspirational entrepreneur who my husband recently made me discover. I would highly recommend checking out his Instagram and YouTube if you are in need of a serious kick in the butt. I don’t agree with everything he has to say, but for the most part, he makes you want to work you ass off to get what you want. One of his quotes that I don’t buy into so much is “If you live for the weekends and vacations, your shit is broken.”. Now, I totally agree that you need to devote as much time as possible into your hustle to make it a reality, but I’m also a big believer in self-care. For me, this means time off on the weekend to unplug, be with family, and clear my head. If I do this, I feel like I come back into it at the end of the weekend or on Monday with a fresh vision and a less stressed psyche to make it happen. I’m all for working your fingers to the bone, but if it’s at the expense of your mental health, it’s just not worth it. Do you have thoughts on this matter? If so, I would love to hear them!
On to this salad. Maybe it’s weird but I often find myself craving a salad. In particular, ones with crisp romaine, tons of toppings, and a creamy dressing. I definitely won’t be craving a spinach salad with a vinaigrette anytime soon, no sir. I’m all about the hearty salad that really sticks to your ribs. One sure-fire way to achieve that is to add a ton of protein, like this grilled steak. Top with avocado, hard-boiled eggs, fresh corn, and tomatoes and you’ll have a salad that’ll keep you full for hours. It’s a shame I can’t have this for lunch every day because I would SO be all over that.
Check out my Watermelon and Cucumber Salad with Mint Vinaigrette!
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 cup cilantro, lightly chopped
- 2 limes juiced + zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ a poblano, lightly chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ Tsp honey
- ¼ Tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups mixed greens or romaine blend
- 3 carrots shredded or chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- To prepare the steak, Combine the cilantro, lime juice and zest, olive oil, garlic, poblano, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Blend until everything is finely chopped and well-combined. Pour marinade into a gallon zip lock bag and add the flank steak. Seal and gently massage. Allow the steak to marinate for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- After the steak has marinated, heat a grill or grill pan to high heat. Once hot, sear the steak for 5-8 minutes, flip and sear another 5 minutes or until your desired doneness is reached. Remove the steak and allow to rest 5 minutes. Slice steak thinly against the grain before adding to the salad.
- To make the dressing, add chipotle peppers and garlic to a food processor and pulse until
- finely minced. Add the buttermilk, mayo, lime juice, cilantro, honey, and salt. Puree until smooth. Scrape down sides and pulse a few more times, to make sure everything is well-combined.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the greens, carrots, corn, avocado, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, green onions, and hard boiled eggs. Arrange sliced steak on top and drizzle with the desired amount of dressing. Serve immediately.