It’s a natural thing for me to begin craving more simplified and healthy meals when the weather begins to heat up. I mean, would you want to eat lasagna outside on a hot summer’s day? Who am I kidding? I can eat lasagna no matter what the temperature is outside. Regardless, I tend to gravitate towards meals like this Spiralized Mint Summer Slaw when the thermostat crawls above 85 degrees. This slaw is mayo-free and jam packed with fresh raw vegetables and flavorful herbs. Perfect for a summer lunch by the pool, or a nutritious side dish at a barbecue!
Recipe adapted from Saveur.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated on a microplane
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 small radishes, julienned or spiralized
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned or spiralized
- ¼ english cucumber, julienned or spiralized
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and shaved using a vegetable peeler or mandoline
- Whisk mint, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add radishes, scallions, carrots, asparagus, cabbage, and cucumber; toss to combine.
*I used the smallest noodle blade on my spiralizer to prepare most of the vegetables. If you don't have a spiralizer, just slice the vegetables in thin matchstick sized shapes!