Now we’re knee deep in Spring and everyone is wanting to get out side and exercise. Well, me too, but I also love pasta. So down below, you’ll find the best of both worlds! Healthy potatoes with classic original flavors of everyone’s fave pasta dish.
This carbonara can’t help you get organized, but it IS better for you than the original AND it is super budget friendly. Carbonara is one of Matt’s favorite dishes. This makes me happy because A: It’s so easy to make, and B: I usually have everything I need to make it. Win—Win.
In this recipe we are switching out regular spaghetti noodles for spiralized Yukon gold potatoes. If you received a spiralizer for Christmas, prepare for your life to change for the better. You can make so many versatile recipes with it and it is so much fun to experiment with! The potato flavor adds just a little extra something to the dish, but it also serves as a great base to let the carbonara flavor shine.
You seriously NEED to try this one.
If you’re craving a bowl of creamy, carby and salty deliciousness…this carbonara is DEFINITELY going to do it for you.
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut in half and spiralized using your spaghetti sized blade.
- 2 large eggs and 2 large yolks, room temperature
- ⅓ cup grated pecorino Romano, plus additional for serving
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 ½ ounces pancetta or bacon, small diced
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks and pecorino and Parmesan. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta or bacon and sauté until the fat just renders. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Leaving the rendered fat in the pan, return the same skillet back to medium heat and add in the potato noodles. Let cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove potato noodles to a large bowl and vigorously toss with the egg and cheese mixture, until noodles are well coated and a creamy sauce is formed. Add the cooked pancetta and top with more cheese to taste. Serve immediately.