Compensation was provided by Nestlé Coffee-Mate® via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the Author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Coffee-mate®.
I was lucky enough to be able to be a Girl Scout as a child, and back then, bake sales were an essential part of the experience. The bake sales that I participated in as a young girl were full of delicious treats, from cakes and cookies, to brownies and pies, there was never a shortage of delicious goodies for the incredible bargain of .50 cents a piece.
One of the most sought after goods was my family’s chocolate sour cream cake. Moist and toothsome, this cake was the star of every bake sale and now I am going to share it with you!
In my opinion, this cake is best served with a hot cup of coffee and Coffee-mate® Girl Scouts® Caramel & Coconut Coffee Creamer. Being an ex-Girl Scout myself, I find that the flavor of this creamer is the perfect accompaniment to my bake sale dessert as the two used to go hand in hand. It doesn’t get much better than chocolate with a side of caramel and coconut! Enjoy!
This summer, Nestlé Coffee-Mate® is celebrating the sweetest form of nostalgia with their exclusive range of fun, exciting flavors that evoke delicious memories and emotions of the past. These throwback flavors include Toll House® Chocolate Chip Cookie, Caramel Macchiato and Classic Vanilla.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces melted dark chocolate
- 1 cup cooled coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the softened butter with the granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, one at a time on low, then add the vanilla extract and sour cream. Mix in the melted chocolate and coffee on medium speed.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture in 3 batches, mixing until just combined each time.
- Pour evenly in prepared cake pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely on wire rack before icing.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick of butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream the soft butter into the sugar until fully mixed. Add the sour cream, cocoa powder, pinch of salt and vanilla and mix on medium speed until uniform. Taste and sweeten if you like by adding a little more powdered sugar.