This recipe is one that came from a weeknight dinner necessity. Not one that I initially planned on blogging about, but was so delicious that I had to share!
There are a lot of seasonal and hearty flavors in this dish. Cranberry and orange is a classic holiday combination, and for good reason!
They pair so perfectly together and lend so much freshness to this casserole. Also in this recipe was shredded maple orange-glazed chicken, tricolored quinoa, and mashed sweet potatoes. Everything works so well together to make this a complete nutritious meal. Definitely, a must-try!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 lb chicken breast
- 2 medium sweet potato
- Dash each ground cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Orange, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup quinoa ( I used a tricolor blend)-prepare using package directions.
- Bring 4 tbsp orange juice and maple syrup to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat slightly, but keep high enough to continue a low boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until glossy and just slightly thickened. Set aside
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts, cover skillet, and saute for about 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Pour orange-maple mixture over chicken. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and let cook for another 10 minutes, basting occasionally, until chicken is cooked through. When cool, shred with two forks and set aside.
- Peel sweet potatoes and chop them into large chunks. Place in a large pot of cold water and boil until fork-tender. Drain and mash with butter, milk, salt, and pepper.
In a small saucepan, simmer the cranberries and juice from the orange until the cranberries are plump, about 5 minutes.
- Prepare quinoa according to the package directions. When water is absorbed, add the orange zest and orange cranberry mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lightly oil a 9x9 pan with olive oil, and press quinoa mixture into the bottom.
- Over the top of the quinoa, evenly distribute the shredded orange maple chicken.
- Then, top that with the sweet potato mash.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through
It may seem like there are a lot of steps to this dish, but if you have the chicken, quinoa, and potatoes cooking on the stove at the same time it comes together very quickly!