For the days when you’re craving dessert but don’t want a whole tray lying around, these Tahini Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats for Two are the solution!
When that sweet tooth comes calling, I usually want something quicker and easier than, say, making cookies. Yes, these Tahini Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats for Two require some chilling, but surely you can find something to do for an hour, right?
It wasn’t until I was an adult that I heard of scotcheroos. If you’re like me and live in a scotcheroo-free zone, they’re dessert bars with chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, and Rice Krispies. They were originally printed on the back of the Rice Krispies box in the ’60s and I want to say they’re more of a northern/midwestern thing (correct me if I’m wrong!)
Since I’m from Kentucky, we’re calling these a variation of Rice Krispie treat but really they’re kind of a mix of the two!
Ingredients & Subs
- Butter – I always have unsalted stocked in my fridge but salted would be fine as well
- Tahini – I LOVE the flavor of tahini, but any nut butter should work! Whatever you use, make sure that you stir very very well. If it’s a natural butter like tahini, it’ll have settled oil and you want to make sure it’s mixed in well.
- Mini Marshmallows – You could definitely use the big marshmallows in a pinch, but I would cut them up into mini marshmallow size to make sure the melt okay.
- Rice Krispies Cereal – I love using brown rice cereal for a healthier punch. You could even use Cocoa Krispies for even more chocolate!
- Dark Chocolate – Milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate or you could totally omit! I’m not a white chocolate person most of the time so I’m not going to suggest that, but you do you! The dark chocolate, tahini, sea salt combo is the winner in my book!
I love that the ingredients for these are so easy to keep on-hand. That way, you can whip up a batch whenever you like!
How to store & freeze
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t recommend freezing these. However, they’ll keep in an airtight container for 3ish days. They’re meant to be small batch so it’s unlikely they’ll even last that long!
Stir, Stir, Stir your tahini! You want to make sure all of the oil that has separated is well incorporated back into the butter.
More Small Batch recipes you’ll love!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Take a browse around the site and please let me know if you make anything by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions, concerns, or requests!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- flaky sea salt, for topping
- Line a 9″ loaf pan with parchment paper, lengthwise, and spray the whole pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter, and allow to brown over medium heat. The butter should smell nutty and be browned but not burnt. Keep an eye on it. Add tahini and marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the Rice Krispies cereal. Mix very well until all of the cereal looks moist!
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan and melt the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring every time until smooth. Pour the chocolate on top of the treats and spread to coat the entire top. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Transfer to the fridge and let cool for an hour to set. Slice and enjoy!