There is something that seems so wasteful about peeling citrus. I almost always use the zest of my lemons and limes, but when it comes to oranges and grapefruit, the outside doesn’t get much attention. Bon Appetit recently tweeted a recipe for candied citrus peel and I was sold! I added a bit of vanilla to the recipe to add an extra sweetness and I’m really glad I did! I LOVE grapefruit, but if you don’t like it then definitely go for an orange peel. I told Matt he would like these even though he hates grapefruit and he still found them to be unpleasant. Oops. I think these Vanilla Candied Grapefruit Peels are so fun and would be great on top of a citrus based cake or cupcake OR dipped in dark chocolate…YUM! Here is a video on how to properly peel and segment citrus if you are unsure. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 large grapefruits or 3 oranges
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for tossing
- Cut peel from grapefruits into ⅜” strips leaving ¼” white pith attached. Place in a small saucepan; add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, then drain; repeat twice.
- Bring peel, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, and ½ cup water to a boil in same saucepan; reduce heat and simmer until peel is translucent, 15–20 minutes.
- Drain; transfer peel to a wire rack and let dry, 2–4 hours. Toss in more sugar. I poured about ¼ cup of sugar in a large bowl and tossed the grapefruit with it in several patches.