I have been feeling a bit under the weather this week. I like to blame the roller coaster Kentucky weather, but the fact that Matt has recently been sick as well tells me that we’re sharing a cold. I absolutely HATE being sick. Not that anyone likes it, but I’m not a fan of laying around and being lazy. At least some people can use it for an excuse to forgo their typical duties, but I just can’t. I will, however, admit that I haven’t had many cooking successes this week, due to the whole foggy head and not being able to taste thing. I did make some bomb chicken noodle soup (which I could make with my eyes closed), and these super special date bars. I try to eat REALLY healthy when I’m sick, from green juices to matcha smoothies. I figure the best way to get back to normal is to attack my body with an overload of nutrients and antioxidants. These date bars are so amazing if you’re craving something sweet! AND if you’re sick like me and can’t taste a whole lot, you will DEFINITELY be able to taste the flavor of these puppies!
- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp powdered PB
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- Place dates, peanuts, salt, peanut butter, and 2 tbsp of chocolate chips in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until a sticky dough is formed. The texture should be uniform and hold together when pressed.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer the dough to the loaf pan, pressing down with your fingers to flatten to the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top and press slightly into dough.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least an hour.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 6 bars. I like to store mine in the fridge, but you’re welcome to leave them at room temp as well for up to a week.