Clean out your fridge and pantry Marie Kondo-style to make this easy and delicious Weeknight Creamy Mushroom Kale Pasta!
Is meatless Monday still a thing? It feels like maybe more people are just adopting a more meat-balanced way of living, so it’s more like meatless Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Whatever day you choose to go meat-free during the week, this Weeknight Creamy Mushroom Kale Pasta is the comfort food you’ve been waiting for.
Anyone else out there obsessed with the new Marie Kondo show on Netflix? Who am I kidding? Of course, you all are — everyone is! And for good reason. There’s just something so cathartic about cleansing your space and adding a bit of order to your life. Plus, she’s just so darn cute! I must admit, we keep a fairly organized house. My husband and I like to keep things fairly minimal and regularly clean out our closets and cabinets. The one area I’m not very good at, it the pantry and fridge. This week, I decided that enough was enough and I was going to hold each and every food item I own and ask myself whether or not it sparked joy, or better yet if it was expired. I’m not proud when I say that some items in my pantry had expired in…wait for it… 2014 (shock horror). Keep in mind we moved into our house in 2016 soooooo that should have been thrown out before we even moved. The result of my clean out is an organized space where I can clearly see what we have/need. Not to mention, a few great dishes like this one came out of it.
Have you done a major 2019 purge yet? Next, I’m definitely moving on to the freezer. There’s no telling what’s lurking in there!
Try my amazing Spring Vegetable Pasta when the weather gets warm!
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1½ cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup mushroom or chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- parmeasan crumbs to serve (recipe follows)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add one clove of the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and kale and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until mushrooms are golden brown and kale has softened. Remove from pan to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt again over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the flour and herbs de Provence. Stir for a minute to cook out the flour taste. Slowly add the milk, whisking to incorporate. Let the mixture simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the sauce, pasta, and mushrooms together. Add the olive oil and stock as needed if the sauce gets too thick. Garnish with the chopped parsley and parmesan crumbs, serve immediately.
- 16 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with silicone mat.
- Working in 2 batches, scoop 8 mounds of finely grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese (1 tablespoon per mound) onto mat, spreading each mound about 3" wide and spacing at least 1" apart. Crack desired amount of black pepper on top.
- Bake cheese until light brown and melted, 5-6 minutes (check occasionally while baking so it won't turn too brown). Remove sheet from oven and let frico cool completely.
- Crush frico into crumbs or pulse in a food processor. Serve over pasta.