Missing your weekly sushi fix? This Whole30 Smoked Salmon Sushi Bowl will ease your craving with minimal carbs and maximum flavor!
If I can recommend one thing to get you through your Whole30 month, it’d be to find recipes that somewhat mimic your favorites. For me, that’s spaghetti and sushi. My spaghetti was taken care of by subbing spaghetti squash and my sushi fix was taken care of with this Whole30 Smoked Salmon Sushi Bowl!
If you asked Matt, he would say that the hardest part of Whole30 has been making sure that he’s eating enough at mealtimes to hold him over until the next one. Technically, you’re not supposed to do much snacking on Whole30, but he’s definitely made sure that he has plenty of Rx Bars, beef sticks, and hard-boiled eggs on-hand at all times. I mentioned in my last Whole30 recipe that this part had been difficult for me, but I finally got in the groove of making filling meals. It’s definitely easier for someone like me who works from home as opposed to someone in an office setting. For me, the hardest part has been constantly thinking about food. I hate that it’s always on my mind and it’s weird having a feeling like some foods are “toxic”. One time, I accidentally licked Norah’s yogurt off my finger and then I literally washed my mouth out because I didn’t know if it would skew the results. Don’t get me wrong, the good has FAR exceeded the negative, but I do think that it’s something to keep in mind. If you’ve ever had disordered eating at all, I don’t think I would recommend it. That being said, I’ve learned so much about my eating habits and the insanely added ingredients in food. Our last day is a week from today, so I’ll definitely be doing a post with our final thoughts and a rundown of the month.
Back to this sushi bowl. I love that you can totally customize it based on your favorite roll. You can switch out the smoked salmon for crab, shrimp, or do all veggies! What is your go-to sushi roll? It’s definitely one of the meals I’m looking forward to most!
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, steamed (frozen bags, ftw)
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1- inch piece ginger
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- ½ large shallot
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 sheets nori, crumbled
- 2 avocados pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1-1/2 tsp sriracha
- 3 Tbsp. mayo, homemade or Whole30
- ½ Tbsp sriracha (check to make sure it's compliant)
- sesame seeds for garnish
- To make the cauliflower sushi rice, combine all of the ingredients except for the rice in a blender and blend until smooth. Toss the steamed cauliflower rice with the sauce and stir well. Set aside.
- Divide the Cauliflower rice mixture into four bowls and arrange the nori, avocado, carrots, and cucumber, over the top.
- Stir together chopped salmon, ¼ tsp. sesame oil, sriracha, and minced green onions. Divided the smoked salmon amongst the bowls.
- To make the spicy mayo, combine both ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon over top of the bowls or transfer to a small sandwich bag or piping bag to drizzle. Top with sesame seeds, if desired.