Happy August, folks! Before you know it, Labor Day will be here and you’re going to need a cold side dish to go with your burgers and ribs. My Cajun Potato Salad just happens to be that side you’re looking for! It has bacon, corn, eggs, chives and a zesty cajun lemon dressing that everyone will love.
I am SUCH a sides person. Find me at a cookout and my paper plate will most definitely be filled with all the salads, deviled eggs and macaroni and cheese (homemade only). Okay and dessert… but you need another plate for that.
It’s hard to believe that summer’s almost over, but I for one am not too sad about it. I’m more than ready for all the “basicness” of fall. Bring on the pumpkin! But, until then I’ll soak up the last few barbecues of summer by looking forward to the food… and air conditioning.
Do you have a go-to side dish that you bring to summer potlucks? Leave a comment and let me know!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup of mayo
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1tbsp cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 dashes of hot sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp chives, minced
- ½ cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- (reserve a bit of chives and bacon to sprinkle on top, if desired)
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan or stockpot and cover with salted cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mayo, Dijon, cajun seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and lemon juice and zest.
- Add potatoes, boiled eggs, bacon, chives and corn to the bowl and toss everything to combine.
- Top with additional chive and bacon to garnish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you're ready to serve. I would recommend at least four hours or overnight.
- Taste the potato salad once it is fully chilled to see if it needs additional salt.