These homemade Fruit and Nut Cereal Bars will have your kids jumping up and down. This easy-to-make recipe is the perfect snack for when you’re rushing out the door!
It’s almost back to school time! If you’re a student or teacher you might be hating me right now and if you’re a parent you’re probably super stoked! I don’t have kids (yet) but I still get so excited when I walk into a store and see all of the back-to-school things displayed.
With back to school means packing lunches and trying to scramble for afternoon snacks, all while trying to keep things semi-healthy. I hear you… I feel you… I am here for you.
I made these Fruit and Nut Cereal Bars with all of you in mind. I know, I’m so thoughtful, taking one for the team and all. Because I hated eating these in the name of research — yeah right.
These bars are SO easy to make, they take only 20 minutes to set up in the fridge and they’re so much better than store-bought! You can customize with your kid’s favorite cereal and sneak in dried fruit and nuts that they won’t even notice.
And you don’t have to wait until school starts to make these, they’re a fun activity to get your kids in the kitchen and let them play with their food. Happy Learning! P.S. peep below for my favorite lunch box. 🙂
For all of you parents (or non-parents) or teachers, I recently received this Planet Box lunch box and I LOVE it! I would highly recommend it if you’re looking for something to take to work or send your kiddos to school with.
In mine, I have a nectarine with Port Salut cheese, prosciutto, crackers and hummus, two candies, and a cereal bar (obvi). Mine is the Rover Box if you were wondering :).
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups fruity-o-shaped cereal (I used Cascadian Farms, but you could use whatever. Even Cheerios!)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup greek yogurt chips (optional) or white chocolate chips
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir continuously until they are melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Pour the cereal into the melted marshmallow and stir to coat.
- Add in dried cherries and almonds and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator to allow the white chocolate to set, about 20 minutes.
- Melt the greek yogurt chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments, stirring after each until melted.
- Cut into bars and dip the bottom of each bar into the greek yogurt chips. Sit on parchment paper to set up.
- Once all of the bars are dipped, drizzle more of the greek yogurt on top, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to 5 days.