Appetizers are a must when watching all of the big games this March. Be sure to add these Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls to your must-make list!
College basketball is, for lack of a better word, religion here in Kentucky. I always knew that people tend to go a bit nuts this time of year (my family included), but I didn’t realize how crazy it was until I actually started going to school at the University of Kentucky.
I was there for the end of the Tubby Smith reign and the duration of Billy Gillispie’s tenure coaching the team. I also had some of my best memories cheering on the first class after John Calipari took over.
Who remembers all of the first class madness with John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton, and Eric Bledsoe? Now that I’m no longer a college student and a mom to an 8-month-old, college basketball isn’t quite as high on my list as it used to be.
Instead, I like to focus my energy on being the hostess and preparing all of the delicious bites for the adoring basketball fans. This year, these Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls are going to be the last ones standing in my bracket.
There are a few ways that I like to cut corners while still retaining flavor when I’m entertaining: frozen veggies, a DIY cocktail bar, and premade chicken.
There’s always something that’ll make your life easier when you’re trying to bring the courtside to your living room. It saved me a major step of cooking the chicken, making this simple appetizer clocks in under 30 minutes.
Premade chicken is packed full of flavor and makes everyone’s life so much smoother! I love warming it up on the stove to pile on top of salads or throwing it into a quick wrap for lunch. It’s definitely great to have on-hand at all times.
What’s your go-to easy appetizer when watching the tournament? I still love to bring out this Fried Green Tomato and Bourbon BBQ Crostini when I’m hosting!
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 6 ounces Curly’s Sauceless Pulled Chicken
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper, minced
- 3 tbsp green onion, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cup loosely packed fresh spinach, chopped i
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 8 6-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- Avocado Ranch, to serve
- FOR THE FILLING
- In a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the Curly’s Sauceless
- Pulled Chicken and corn, breaking up the chicken. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the mixture begins to warm.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and paprika. Mix until combined and continue cooking for 3 additional minutes.
- Add beans, spinach, and cilantro. Cook just until the spinach has wilted, then remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- FOR ROLLING AND FRYING
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 8 tortillas. Roll up, taking care to tuck the ends snuggly in to create a nice seal and prevent the mixture from oozing out or oil from getting in.
- For pan-frying: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add about 1/2 cup of oil to the skillet, let the oil get hot. Add 4 rolls at a time (seam side down) and fry until all sides are golden brown. Remove and let rest on a paper towel-lined plate before serving. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Serve with Avocado Ranch for dipping.