Raise your hand if you loiter around the pigs in a blanket at parties ?. Now that it’s summer, our hot dogs are usually charred on the grill and nestled into a soft bun. I don’t know about you, but when it’s hot outside, the last thing I want to do is post up by a 300+ degree grill turning hot dogs. Turn off the grill and retreat to the air conditioning to make these Cheesy Everything Dogs in a Blanket instead.
They have a flaky puff pastry exterior and a juicy, beefy and cheesy interior. All topped with a flavorful everything spice you would find on your favorite NYC bagel. Serve these up at your next cookout and they’ll be adored by adults and children, alike.
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 8 all beef nitrate free hot dogs
- Shredded swiss cheese, roughly 1 cup
- egg wash (one egg whisked with 1 tbsp of water)
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until well distributed. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Lay out puff pastry on a floured surface, roll out just slightly, about 1 inch on each side. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into eight strips. I like to start in the middle and then slice each half in four pieces.
- slice your hot dogs in the middle, length-wise. Slicing down to the bottom but being careful not to slice in half on accident.
- Take a pinch of shredded swiss and stuff into the sliced hot dogs. Take a strip of puff pastry and wrap around the hot dog and cheese. Only the tips of the dog should be exposed. Arrange wrapped dogs on a baking sheet covered in foil. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle generously with everything spice (you may have some leftover).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until dough is golden and cheese is melted. Serve warm.